Sunday, September 14, 2008

My Country

For the first time in my life I feel oppressed in my country just because of my skin colour. It is a lot harder than I expected to accept and love my enemies. I could not help myself but feeling hurt and threatened after hearing news about ‘Malaysians of Chinese descent are temporary residents and can never receive equal rights with other races in the country’, ‘arrest of Malaysia Today news portal editor Raja Petra, Seputeh MP Teresa Kok, and Sinchew reporter Tan Hoon Cheng under Internal Security Act (ISA)’ etc. It adds to my anger when watching the news on we are not allowed to talk about Malay rights, Islamic religion, and the Malay Rajas’ statuses because they are sensitive issues and will destroy the unity (how about they talk about racial issues and suppressing Christianity?). Also, I am being wakened up at about 5am because of the public speakers of Muslim prayers from the local mosque. I admit it is rather disturbing to force to listen to their prayers for five times a day to a god whom I do not worship.

The people no longer trust the government and are utterly disappointed with the unjust, uncivilised, non transparent way of ruling the country. Besides racial issues, it is disappointing to witness corruption, misused funds, lack of economic growth, lack of civilisation, lack of care to the environment, and narrow mindset of the people. We are hoping that either the government will change, or change the government. I was very naïve and believe that my country will be in peace forever with unity and tolerance of all races and religions. I loved my country because there is not many other places in the world share the same climate and have beautiful beaches, lush rainforests, and diverse flora and fauna. Other than that, the rich culture and the harmony regardless of skin colour and religion are precious. I do appreciate my country since a very young age and I love to see people to live in harmony. But when I grow up I realised more and more things which appears just as an illusion.

I cannot find any other better ways to resolve the conflict than love (again it is a lot more difficult to do it than just talk about it), as Jesus says love your enemies, and do not revenge, for vengeance is mine. There is no way I can love and forgive before I realised my own sins and receive grace and forgiveness from Christ. The way I relate to the world is deeply affected by my view of the gospel and relationship with God.

I pray that
  • peace and harmony will continue in this country and people will be mature and open enough to talk about things and understand each other.
  • Justice will be done and release of innocent people, and avoid misuse of power.
  • Christians will grow mature and strong to make a stand when it’s necessary, and to be the pioneer of showing love and reconciliation.
  • God will protect the Christians and use this opportunity to teach them and understand how Christ is relate to this world, the religious people (Pharisees), the oppressive government, and what are the roles of churches and individual Christians.
  • Christians will grow in this situation and experience God’s grace and comfort.
  • Most importantly, help us to understand why Christ has to die on the cross and live again and how it relates to this current situation, and helps us to see the glory of Christ therefore put our hope in the eternal Kingdom rather than the temporal one.


Religions and laws cannot change people’s heart, only sacrificial love that comes from Christ can ultimately change the condition of human beings.

2 comments:

Scott said...

Seems amazing that there is such race views still in an apparently civilised world. Until they realise that everyone who is a Malaysian citizen is equal, there will never be happiness/peace in your country sadly. Can only pray and promote equality.

Ian L said...

I can't do anything else but agree along with all that has been said! As christians living under an earthly government which is ultimately under God's sovereignity whether they acknowledge that or not, we need to stand up to let our voice be heard through the available means and engage in intelligent and informed conversations with those around us. I pray along with you for our dear country..check this link out by the way! =)
http://www.themicahmandate.org/index2.shtml