Monday, July 27, 2009

Heroes of faith and The Great Hero

I knew God was speaking to me at church today. Thanks Pa Yahya. I will again strengthen my weak knees and lift up my drooping hands, and continue to walk on according to His strength in this road of life filled with trials and tribulations.

My emotions still relatively unstable, but feeling a lot better than past few weeks. Just finished Harry Potter: The Deathly Hallows last night. I reckon it was a great piece of literature. Reading it in light of the gospel, it moved me and lifted my hopes up in real life. Life itself is an adventure. As I admire the adventures, tears and joys in the story, I realised that it can happen and is happening in my own life too. Miracles are not a myth, the possibility of victory over death exists in the revelation of Christ's power on the Cross. Life is not meaningless, purposeless, there is something to it, something for us to fight for, to win for. Harry Potter did not know what he was suppose to do, he even doubted Dumbledore. Yet he chose to obey his instructions and kept his promise. It costed blood and lives, but it was rewarding in the end for a great cause. That's what's it's all about, to fulfil the God-given destiny, fight and stand in faith until the return of my dearest King. Harry is a fictional figure, but Jesus Christ is real, he chosed to lay down His own life, nobody force or kill him. He has the courage to walk towards death even He knows how much it will cost Him. He was despised and rejected by men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief; and as one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted. But He was wounded for our transgressions; He was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his stripes we are healed... I'm like a dumb sheep gone astray, did not trust him and a mockery to his name. Yet he is patient towards me, for he knows what I am. He cares, he knows my every thoughts, he knows my every sin, he knows my end, and He has saved me before I know it. He is my true saviour. He is my real hero.

This book reminded me a lot of things, especially the spiritual battle fought as a community of Christians, not as individuals. Our predecessors had fought the good fight, we are fighting now, and we ought to pass down the legacy to the next generation, until the victory is won. It reminds me of Hebrews 12, we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses (I always thought who these witnesses are, now I think it refers to the previous chapters, to great warriors of faith like Abraham, Moses, David, Samuel, Peter, Paul... and it goes on, to St. Augustine, Hudson Taylor, Mother Teresa, Wang Mingdao, Jim and Elisabeth Elliot, William Wilberforce, Jonathan Edwards, Martin Luther... many many more unknown names, and the battle goes on... ), and please, lay down every heavy weight and sin that clings so closely, let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, look up to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.

Never give up.

Amen.

1 comment:

Ita said...

I thank GOD for this blog post :)
Will keep on praying for you!

Now I can understand why you really enjoy the last book of Harry Potter while I wasn't :p