Wednesday, December 06, 2006

TV

Because I have nothing much to do at home I watch almost 5-6 hours of tv programs per day! I watch Thai, Taiwanese, Chinese, Hong Kong, Korean, Singaporean, and Malaysian drama series everyday. Although all produced in different countries and from different producers, the main themes are not that different. All of them talks about love and suffering, good and evil. Good people who love are always suffering; suffering for their lovers, family, friends, or social injustice. Sometimes there was a happy ending, sometimes not. I was questioning why they have to produce so many dramas that are full of suffering? Why don’t produce more comedies or positive programs so that people can laugh and feel better? My answer is of course people like to watch them. I think when people watch others suffering it will reduce their own pain because there is a kind of soothing effect. I think the cross of Christ has the same effect too: Jesus not just heals, but He suffers himself so that you might be comforted. However, there were many times I think if Jesus is in that situation (in the drama) or they know God, much sufferings were unnecessary. For example, people who suffers from cancer or terminal illness gives great pain for people around who loves him/her, but if they know God, and put their hope in Christ, they won’t need to despair, but have the hope of eternal life instead!

1 comment:

Ian L said...

Hmmm...interesting anne, haven't you got a job yet? =D
That would take you of TV...haha!