Thursday, July 26, 2007

Trusting God


To God and people whom may concern about me, I am currently going through a difficult time (I think, but nothing compared to people whom facing extreme persecution for Christ everyday). First thing I came back from South Island, I got rejected from the company that I had a job interview. I used up all my money. Then the car I was using to practice driving broke down again (after I bought a $75 battery). Then my computer hacked by virus, so I formatted it. Since two days ago, I became ill (just influenza, but have been coughing, blocked nose, frequent fever, nausea, and tiredness). I just realised this morning that if I need to apply for graduate work permit and visa (with travelling), I need to pay $330. My credit card account is almost exceed quota, NZ dollar is ridiculously expensive (so my parents wouldn’t transfer money until exchange rate lowered), I only can borrow money from my friend.


Since I came to New Zealand, I have to learn to be independent: financially independent, emotionally independent, most importantly, independent faith. I thought I was independent, but I never realise I am dependent on so much things apart from God: security from finance, faith supported by brothers and sisters in OCF, decision-making dependent on my parents, my health and strength to earn money etc. What is independent? Does God wants us to be independent? Now when all things are stripped away, what can I depend on except the grace and hope that is in Jesus Christ? 


On behalf this man I will boast, but on my own behalf I will not boast, except of my weaknesses. Though if I should wish to boast, I would not be a fool, for I would be speaking the truth. But I refrain from it, so that no one may think more of me than he sees in me or hears from me. So to keep me from being too elated by the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from being too elated. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. - 2 Corinthians 12:5-10


Come to me, all who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, from I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. - Matthew 11:28-30


I want to share a quote from ‘Is God Really in Control: Trusting God in a World of Hurt’ by Jerry Bridges:


In the arena of adversity, the Scriptures teach us three essential truths about God - truths we must believe if we are to trust Him in adversity. They are:


God is completely sovereign.
God is infinite in wisdom.
God is perfect in love.


Someone has expressed these three truths as they relate to us in this way: “God in His love always wills what is best for us. In His wisdom He always knows what is best, and in His sovereignty He has the power to bring it about.”

No comments: