Saturday, March 08, 2008

Doubtful Sound

Only 2 more weeks and I will be leaving New Zealand. My feelings are a mixture, hard to describe, I feel happy and look forward to going home, at the same time feeling sad leaving here after been through so many things. There are very good and very bad things happened to me here, mostly good things.

I had a day off on Wednesday, so I went to Doubtful Sound which is part of Fiordland National Park. It was one of the best experiences I had in here. I was very tired the night before so I did not want to get up that early in that morning, and was struggling to decide if I want to Doubtful Sound on that day. Nevertheless, I got up and decided to go since I do not have much time left in Te Anau. I walked to the Real Journeys Visitor Centre at about 8am, was hoping to catch the 8:30am tour. The weather was not good that morning, cloudy and almost rain. When I was about to book my tour, the staff told me that the 8:30am tour was fully booked, so suggested me to join the 11:30am group. But I did not feel like walk home and walk there again, so I asked if there is an earlier tour or is it possible to squeeze me in the 8:30 tour. In the end she squeezed me into the 10:30am tour. I paid and looked for something to do between that time.

I decided to see Ata Whenua, a short movie clip produced by local cinematographers and helicopter pilots to show the beauty of Fiordland. Fiordland cinema is opened to show this movie clip. I love Fiordland Cinema. The entrance of the cinema is Black Dog Bar, it is very cool and the prices of drinks are relatively cheap but high quality. I can order a wide range of wine or coffees and they will bring it to my sofa seats in the cinema. I was the first one in fact the only one who watched the 9am show, and the guy offered me half price (only $5!) for early bird. For the first time I was the only audience in the cinema.

After that I went and waited to board the coach to Lake Manapouri for the tour. I kept praying and praying but the weather seems getting worse and worse. It was cold and raining heavily while I board the coach and the first boat across Lake Manapouri. However I saw a big rainbow before I board the boat. Somehow I knew it was a promise from God that everything will be fine, if I trust Him I will never be disappointed.

Lake Manapouri in the morning

After crossed the Lake Manapouri, we went to visit the Manapouri Underground Power Station. The coach drove into a 2 km deep underground tunnel and we visit the hydroelectric power station. It was very interesting to learn how they built the power station and how does electricity generated by drawing water from the lake into 7 penstocks and 7 turbines. It cost a lot of money and claimed 16 men’s lives as a result to build that power station and Wilmot Pass.

Manapouri Undergound Power Station

Wilmot Pass is the gravel road connecting Lake Manapouri and Doubtful Sound. It is beautiful and tranquil. By the time we get out from the tunnel, we saw blue sky and clouds was clearing. The weather turned out so good by the time we reached Doubtful Sound, it was so beautiful and I thank God for answering my prayers.

Wilmot Pass

We board the second boat Patea Explorer, and cruise the Fiords (mistakenly known as Sound) for 3 hours. Then I was being greedy, I asked God if I could see the dolphins if He allows. I kept reminding myself that, “expect nothing, but receive everything as a gift”, so I won’t be disappointed but grateful. The mountains are stunning, they are carved out by the glaciers thousands years ago. Couldn’t resist myself to take photos as it was magically beautiful. I saw some seals when the boat reach the Tasman Sea, but was a little bit disappointed for not seeing the dolphins.

The boat sailed to a few different arms. When we reached Crooked arm, know what, the dolphins were awaiting for us! There were a pod of 10-20 dolphins playing together, our boat turned off the engine, and manoeuvred in the arm. The dolphins were so friendly, they came and leaping and playing right in front of us, with the stunning mountains as a background, I was so happy and touched that my tears almost fall down. Don’t know why my camera ran out of battery at that time, so I couldn’t take photos of any of it. I guess God was telling me that, enjoy it, just for you, don’t busy taking pictures.

The Waterfalls, vegetations, birdsongs, the evening sunset, everything makes the trip so perfect. I believed God loved me so much to let me enjoy everything He has created. I can’t resist myself but to praise and worship His awesome glory of creation.

2 comments:

Scott said...

Looks like you had a really good day at Doubtful sound, it brings back really fond memories I had there. Truly is a beautiful part of the World, so glad you got to see it before leaving NZ. Safe travels heading home if I don't see you again before you go mate. Really been a pleasure to have met and known you while you spent time in my country, I hope you can come back soon! Hugs

Anne said...

Thanks Scott you should be proud for your country you don't know how blessed you are! I had a great time in New Zealand, surely I will miss here lots and lots when I am away. Have a feeling I will come back again in some stage of my life. It has been my pleasure to have you as a great Kiwi friend! If you come to Malaysia must let me show you around! ;)