Wednesday, January 09, 2008

New Update

Sorry I have not been updating this blog since ages ago. My life is still under constant change, facing a lot of new challenges and possibilities. I came to work in Te Anau, a small town situated in Fiordland, close to the world famous Milford Sound and Queenstown. I enjoy this town, although it was a bit too much for me to work during the first two weeks (I worked more than 50 hours a week because of Christmas and New Year). Now it’s getting better, I start enjoying my work.

It is humbling sometimes for me to work as a waitress and bar person when I hold a university degree. But I never stop reminding myself, I come here for ‘holiday’, for a rest at heart, to stop stressing out too much about the future and the present. I do not know if I have achieved my purpose, but Te Anau is a good location, away from big cities and everything that I familiar with. I love the lake and the mountains, the sky is always beautiful, and people are nice. I met people at work from Czech Republic, Germany, Scotland, Australia, and of course Kiwis. Some of us even went to countdown and dance at the Lions Park and watched beautiful fireworks together. It was a good time, sadly three people had left work this week for further travelling.

I had my first pure Kiwi Christmas at a farm near Riverton and Invercargill, with my boyfriend Scott’s family and extended family. It was a wonderful experience, their warmth and friendliness made me feel at home. However, it would be better if they know the real meaning of Christmas, and give the glory to God.

Scott and I spent some quality time together, we explored Te Anau by visiting the wildlife centre, a small (not worth it) trout observatory, fun mini golf, scenic drive on Milford road to Eglinton valley, and sitting by the lake. We went to Queenstown last Friday on my first day off since work (apart from Christmas day), went to adventurous Skippers Canyon, witnessing the place where Arwen ride the horse across the river in Lord of The Rings, Arrowtown, Crown Range lookout and shopping (of course)! Had a most beautiful Thai food I had in New Zealand (maybe because I have been deprived for Asian food too long here), we had Singha Thai beer (reminds me of my dad), Thai coconut, tom yum, and red curried scallops (they were as big as my palms)! Queenstown is magical, always make you feel like on holiday, and surrounded by foreign people and foreign languages. I feel so blessed by staying so near to it.


Southland farmview towards Stewart Island
Te Anau sky
Skippers Canyon

So much to share since I haven’t been updating my blog, will stop here and share more about my work next time.

1 comment:

Scott said...

Hey sounds like you have had a challenging time but lots of good stuff too. Love the photos!