Monday, April 28, 2008

I want to relax!

What is a Christian way to relieve stress? I have been under huge stress since way before I graduate from university. Facing heaps of assignments and examinations, work and financial pressure, church and fellowship responsibilities, job hunting, relationship problems and future planning, I was burnt out. It became a lot worse after I graduate from university…

I tried so hard to cope with the problem, I did a lot of things to improve the situation. Although I can’t underestimate the problem, there’s no use to exaggerate the problem either. I went to see the doctor once when I was so sick during final exams, he suggested I have chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), all I can do is do more recreational activity and stop working.

I tried to analyse my problem, read the bible, remember God’s promises, and trying to submit all to Him. But the problem never goes away, it just keep accumulating including causing problems in my last relationship and in the end break up. I talked to myself, tried to talk to God at the same time. I told myself this isn’t the end of the world, I need to be happy and forget all unhappy things.

However, the reality is always the same, I need to get a job, still I need to survive and feed myself. Due to long term withdrawal from the crowd, I am losing my support network, i.e. my friends or brothers and sisters in Christ. I lost my work related references. All I feel like is continue withdraw from everyone whom I know, and start my life somewhere else again. Deep in my heart I know I should not be doing that, I should not runaway, or escape, I should face my problems, and deal with them.

Secular ways of stress relieving techniques including deep breathing, visualisation, progressive muscle relaxation, meditation, yoga etc. What does the bible says about those techniques? Does not believe the bible itself sufficient to relieve my stress? If it is sufficient, which passage should I read? What should I do?

“Lord, forgive my sin of unbelief. I doubted your power and sufficiency. I doubted if you care enough to heal my brokenness and pain. I want to praise and worship you with my life, my words and my actions. I want to live peacefully and joyfully, shining as your child. But Lord, with my own strength, I am unable, for I am weak and powerless, to change myself and the circumstances. Change my heart O Lord, change my attitude, fixed my attention on yourself, gazing upon your beauty. Let your holiness heal my brokenness, let your love transform me, let your sovereignty strengthen my soul, let your character shape my integrity, let Jesus be my hope and salvation, empower me by your Holy Spirit. Get me ready to do your will, I know ultimate hopes and dreams and happiness can be found in you. Amen.”

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Anne, Jay from Palmy (well Napier now really!)..Reading through your blog entry, I can't help but feel your frustration. From what I can discern, God has brought you back to Malaysia at this point in time for His own will and purposes and I'm encouraged to see you've surrendered it at His feet. This time of adjusting back to life back home after spending a good chunk in New Zealand must be quite tough, but remember you can do all things IN Christ! Give it time sister, He will carry you through the mountain and you'll come out victorious on the other side...In the meantime there's always the simple things in life like a good plate of char kuey teow or a lovely bowl of bakuteh....

Anne said...

Hey Jay! How's life in Napier? Thanks for all your comments and encouragement, they are so supportive. Yea I think I'm getting out from that "box" and start enjoying little things in life, enjoyed the food indeed! I'm sure I'll see the answer at the appointed time, I'll do whatever I can at the moment.