Tuesday, November 28, 2006

God is God and I am not

I do not know why, sometimes people said I am oversensitive, in terms of criticising churches, especially church teachings. I would not dare to say that I know everything about the bible, and whatever I say is right. In fact, there is still many things I need to learn and experience. I did not feel comfortable when some churches is overfocused on “me” instead of “God”. “What should I do so that God can bless me?” is a very common topic in most church sermons. The content might use a lot of bible quotations, and sounds reasonable. However, they magnified “me” instead of who God is. It is danger as it might distort the image of God. Indeed it makes people feels good about themselves, and is very attractive to the crowd. I cannot say it is wrong. But I just do not feel comfortable about it.

For me, knowing God’s promises and knowing the way God could bless me did not help me much in my spiritual growth. Only by knowing who God is (His character/attribute), and what He did through relationship with Him (prayers and meditating upon His Word), my life has changed since then.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have every right to feel the way you do. You need to be comfortable with the church you are choosing as its a most important decision.

I'm not sure there is a perfect church, in fact I sometimes might not notice the differences that others might. However what I have noticed in the past, some have given me a gut feeling of just being wrong or make me feel uncomfortable. My mind screams out to me to run, to escape. But then what would I know :)

Go with what God tells you and have patience that you will find the right place to worship Him.