Sunday, November 12, 2006

Go to SLC if you can!

“The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.

Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it.” (Matthew 13:44-46)


I cannot wait to go to SLC (student leadership conference), and I urged people try their best to go if they can. However, I got annoyed when people do not seem understand why going to conference is so important. I don’t usually force people to do something, except this time. I got really frustrated when I knew that a person have the chance to go but refuse to go for whole week. It is like: putting a mountain of treasures in front of you, and you just take some of it, because you leave your arms for something that is less valuable. If only you know who God is!

It is not about what the conference about, yes indeed you going to learn heaps there about God. But for me, it is about being in the Kingdom of God, being in a place where everyone has the same focus, same belief, same God. I never regret went to conferences, everytime I went I feel refreshed and strengthen again. I knew it is good for me, and I know it is essential for me, as I can put my focus back on to God himself and put my perspectives on the right place again. I enjoy the fellowship with other Christians, encouraging each other and pray for each other. I’ll try my best to go even I do not have sufficient money. People think I am mad because I would have done something else and save some money. But no… it’s not about self-enjoyment. It is about being equipped by God, so that I can do his work better, so that I do not waste any opportunity in life. Why I am still on earth after I accepted Jesus Christ in my life? There must be a purpose: to be His disciple.

“Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I will be with you always, to the very end of the age.” (Matthew 28:19-20)

So you know being a disciple and making others disciple is Jesus’s command. But how do you do it? That’s why SLC is a good place to learn how to do it, yes you can learn through other ways, but here is the place and specially designed for you to equip you. But it means nothing for you if you do not have the passion for God and being a disciple is not the focus of your life.

Last year I went to SLC, and met Auntie Gloria there, I told her that it was too wonderful that I do not want to leave. I told her that I wish I could be like that: study God’s word, praise and worship God, do everything for God everyday. She told me: “don’t worry; you’ll be like that when you go to heaven.” Yes, experiencing God is the most wonderful thing that you can get, it satisfying me so much, because it is why I am created for: to experience God and to worship Him.

This morning’s passage is Hebrews 12:1-2: “Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”

Yes, throw off everything that hinders! Run! With perseverance! Fix our eyes on Jesus! Got it?!

No comments: